What you might be feeling:
- Pain on raising the arm sideways
- swelling on the upper outside of the arm
- aching on the upper outside of the arm
- night pain – sometimes relieved by lying on the affected side
- restricted mobility in certain positions
The most common causes of bursitis are repetitive motions or positions that irritate the bursae around a joint. Examples include:
- Throwing a baseball or lifting something over your head repeatedly
- Leaning on your elbows for long periods
- Extensive kneeling for tasks such as laying carpet or scrubbing floors
- Prolonged sitting, particularly on hard surfaces
Other causes include:
injury or trauma to the affected area, inflammatory arthritis such as rheumatoid arthritis, gout, and infection.
Think you may be having trouble with bursitis? Our team is here to help!